Graphic Recording Example 1 – Brisbane Airport Corporation – Live Graphic Recording using a pre-created Cartoon Mural, followed by Commissioned Artwork.
In recent years Comic Express was employed to do a special live presentation of transforming a pre-created cartoon mural during a speech. This is Comic Express’ Graphic Recording Example 1.
The whiteboard mural was designed to show a ‘before and after’, of the Brisbane Airport Corporation. It showed the significant changes made over time, from the start of managing the airport up to the present day.
Graphic Recording Example 1 is the perfect example of a pre-created idea being used in a Live Event to demonstrate a message.
Once created, the client then separately commissioned the murals to be redrawn, designed and coloured, to be printed and framed. This is an example of a client loving the live event and artwork and then commissioning a more permanent record of it.
The BAC was represented as a mural, as it was in the days of old, and then redrawn, live, showing it’s successive changes to the present day. This included statistical figures to demonstrate the actual changes. Here, the use of cartoon images is ideal, as it transforms dry information into a fun presentation that engages the audience.
Graphic Recording Example 1: The Brief
Graphic Recording Example 1: The Process
- The first step was Comic Express designing up a sample image, labelling all the different elements the client could consider using in the process of working out exactly how they wanted the information presented.
See the sample below:
2. A meeting was held with the client to discuss their brief and plan. This included their feedback on elements that could be used in the sample provided. The process involved identifying those elements they wanted to use as well as how they wanted them used. A rough layout was worked out for Comic Express to take away and visually design the ideas and submit back to the client.
This also included viewing and taking measurements of the whiteboard to be used, in order to plan accurately and efficiently.
3. Comic Express then created a rough of the ‘Before’ and ‘After’ murals. The client’s feedback was used to change these to the final roughs that were approved.
i. See below the roughs for the ‘Before’ image. You can see how after the feedback on the first rough the design was changed and input from the client added in. E.g. the airport terminal went from an old shed to the semi-circle shaped terminals, as they used to be.
ii. See below the roughs for the ‘After’ murals. The clients feedback also was considered and changes were made. For example, the bulging Airport was added to visually capture the rapid growth.
4. The roughs were then redrawn as a final design. The final design included a numbering order of the transformation to happen. The process was to pre-draw the ‘Before’ image on the whiteboard for the day, a few days before.
Then, on the day, Phil erased the images, or part of the image, and then drew in the changes to represent the change from ‘Before’ and ‘After’.
See the final design below:
Graphic Recording Example 1: The Event
On the day of the event the order went as follows:
- The first stage was one of the company managers directing the attention of the crowd to the ‘Before’ imaging running the through specific areas of the mural and statistics included.
2. The second stage was the CEO delivering their speech.
The speech was timed to be around 10 minutes, allowing enough time to slowly change the image in the order planned. The speech delivered was following this order as well.
3. The final stage was opportunity for the staff to have a look at the image, while the celebratory cake was cut.
Graphic Recording Example 1: The Print Version
A short while later, the ‘Brisbane Airport Corporation’ contacted Comic Express to commission a new version of the two images, to be printed up and framed for their office. It was also to be used within follow- up work training from the event.
This is an example of a live Graphic Recording being reworked for the client. This was the result of them seeing the final live product and feeling it had a value for them to be able to reuse, in future situations.
Graphic Recording Example 1: Testimonial
‘Thanks again for the work you’ve done for us. The live cartooning was a hit with staff on the day, and I think getting the image will be a great piece of memorabilia for us moving forward.’
Rebecca McConochie – Corporate Relations Manager, Brisbane Airport Corporation Pty Limited (BAC)
Graphic Recording Example 1: Feedback
‘I’ve received confirmation from our CEO to go ahead with the cartoons as they are. She thinks they’re great.’
‘Thanks again for the work you’ve done for us. The live cartooning was a hit with staff on the day, and I think getting the image will be a great piece of memorabilia for us moving forward.
At this stage we only intend to be using the cartoons for our staff programs, but I’ll let you know if anything changes and we’d like to send you work far and wide.’
Corporate Relations Manager
Brisbane Airport Corporation
Graphic Recording Information
If you would like more information about Live Graphic Recording or Pre-Created Graphic Recording Artwork, as in Graphic Recording Example 1, click on the links below:-
Graphic Recording Enquiries
If you are interested in something similiar to Graphic Recording Example 1, please don’t hesitate to contact us. Alternatively, go to our Graphic Recording forms below:-