the two people behind Comic Express
Phil trained with Television Workshop in animation in the mid 1980's. He then went on to work with the Hanna Barbera studios, located in Sydney Australia, for one and half years as an inbetweener/animator. Phil then had the pleasure of working on the first Footrot Flats film. After this work experience Phil decided to go Art College for two years to study and learn painting, drawing and printmaking.
Phil was first published in 1981, when still at school. His first big print achievement was in 1988 in the Australian Woman's Weekly. He also achieved some regular cartoons printed in a gardening magazine at that time.
Magazines Publishing Phil's Cartoons:
Reader's Digest, Australian Woman's Weekly, Australian Stitches, Australian Patchwork, Drum Media, Australian Computer, Australian Post Magazine,Your Pet, Urbantails, mivision, Bark, Australian People, Gardening Scene, Boar it up Ya! magazines.
Cartooning Clients include:
- BMA Coal/BHP Billiton - Health Safety Education cartoon work for Conference
- Innamincka Petroleum Ltd - cartoons for trophy
- Brisbane Airport Corporation - live cartooning and mind mapping
- Queensland Education School of the Air - educational illustrations
- Rural Press Regional Papers - daily comic strip
- AusPac Media - puzzles
- Hello Marketing Advertising Agency - humorous logos
- de Pasquale Advertising Agency - Billboard for Air Train ("Spot the Difference" )
- Packer Advertising Agency - humorous cartoon logo
- Timber Queensland - orginal humorous Christmas cards for clients
- Channel 7 Great South East - cartoon monsters
- Radium Advertising Agency - political animation
Other Cartoonist Clients:
Planet Media Company (now called Online Associates) - founded by Australian cartoonist Gerard Piper. Coloured the 'Trevor' strip and helped create, write and record voices for animations.
Phil has also done a variety of animations for the Kids website 'Kids Network'.
- Swamp by Gary Clark - Phil has worked with Gary for 7 years doing all computer processing and colouring for this Australian comic strip. 'Swamp' is a daily comic strip in Sweden, Japan and Australia and Phil has assisted Gary with the output of daily cartoons.He also is involved in creative input from time to time. Phil has helped collate two Swamp books that have been printed in Japan and Australia. He has also been involved in the weekly maintenance and running of the Swamp website and it's daily mailout cartoon.
- Dave Allen - worked on comic strip 'Doghouse' (writing gag material) and puzzle material for this Austalian Cartoonist and Puzzlemaker.
- Tony Lopez - Phil has done work colouring the comic strip by Tony Lopez called 'Insanity Streak'. This great strip is printed in Australia, Britian and throughout Australasia.
- Jason Chatfield - Currently Phil does colouring for the famous Australian comic strip 'Ginger Meggs'. He works closely with Jason Chatfield in colouring the total weekly and Sunday output of this strip. This has been a great honour for him, working on Australia's oldest comic strip. This strips appears throughout Australasia, the USA, Britian, India, throughout South America and many other distant places.
Phil has much experience running cartoon workshops for children, teenagers and adults. Following is a summary of his experience.
Children's Workshops: Brisbane City Council Libraries, Sunshine Coast Council Libraries, Gold Coast Council Libraries, Police Citizens Youth Club, State & Private Primary Schools, Art Stores and private group workshops
Adult Workshops: Ithaca TAFE, Citycare, Wesley Mission and private group workshops
Conferences: Physiotherapy Association of Australia (drawing hands)
Phil can create a wide variety of illustrative/cartooning styles. He also creates animations in Flash. Phil also composes music and plays around eight different instruments.
Interesting Facts about Phil
Phil has done a wide range of work between starting out as a animator/cartoonist and coming full circle to having his own cartooning business. These jobs include landscape gardener, labourer, night stacker, carpet layer, delivery truck driver, Registered Nurse for ten years (in both hospital and community nursing settings) and working as a fully registered midwife for two years delivering over 200 babies! His nursing experience travels from Geriatric, Operating Theatre, home palliative and disabled care, General medical and Indigenous community care. He has experienced alot more than sitting at a drawing board for his working life and seeks to invest this experience into his work and the opportunity to pursue again a passion he had from a young age.
Monica is a trained and experienced Primary School teacher with a Bachelor of Education.
As well as having studied piano, voice, speech and drama and ballet from a young age, she completed a Department of Education music in-service course which allowed her to teach classroom Music in Primary Schools.
She worked for 10 years in schools, initially as a classroom teacher, but the majority of the time, as a Music teacher in Queensland, as well as a year in London.
Music : Monica has performed as a singer from a young age on stage and television.
She has sung professionally as a soloist, in a duo, and as a band member doing lead and harmony. She has done recording work on CD's as a backing vocalist and has also sung on a couple of TV advertisements. She plays piano and is currently learning blues and jazz styles.
Business: Monica owned and operated a successful cleaning business for three years, employing staff and managing her own bookwork. She sold the business to marry the talented cartoonist above!
Business: Monica has had training and experience in business and knows the important ingredients that make a business successful.
Creative: Monica also has skills in editing, writing and brainstorming creative ideas, which are important aspects of this business.
Music: Monica also has skills in composing music; writing material of her own as well as for Comic Express. Her skills in composition and playing keyboard are well utilised in creating music for Comic Express animations.
Monica enjoys reading, walking/jogging, writing and performing music and being a housewife!